Friday 23 February 2018

Craft Agency: Portfolio Lab Session


Craft Agency down at the Tetley for the first time hosted a session they call Portfolio Lab which is essentially an hour lot critique session for your portfolio but from industry professionals. This short but sweet encounter was super helpful in terms of helping me get a better understanding of what is and what's not essential within a portfolio since up to this point I'd never really sought much advice on this.

Within the session, me and a couple of others would have a sit down with two professionals individually and walk through both digital portfolio and a website. Speaking to Fionn I gained a good amount of feedback that'll help improve my portfolio.

Condense my descriptions - Studios don't have all that much time to read through a big description for multiple projects, so keeping it short and sweet (I.e using the elevator pitch method) is going to help me get straight to the point.

Only include work I'm passionate about - There are a few projects both on my website and in my digital portfolio that although might be decent projects, I'm not that passionate about. This could come across as trying to bulk out my portfolio with work I'm not too keen on and so it's best to just keep it limited to a few solid projects.

Although some people have a clear ongoing theme or style within their portfolio, not having that isn't always a bad thing. One thing pointed out to me was that my work was more conceptual and idea led than a typical portfolio and so this is something that will shine through when viewed, rather than worrying about all my work having to be similar in some way.

Few other pointers:

- Don't be afraid of white space - don't add more images for the sake of things
- Move contact details to the back of the portfolio so once they finish reading they have the means of contacting me right in front of them.

All in all, a very useful hour-long insight into what it is industry professionals will often look for which will help to elevate and hopefully give me a slight advantage when it comes to applying for internships/ jobs etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment