Tuesday 10 November 2015

OUGD402: Study Task 2 - Why am I here & what do I want to learn?

5 reasons why I chose to study on this course

 The fact that LCA is purely art based and nothing else creates a sense of home when within the college. Being surrounded by past and present pieces of work from everyone from different areas of design displayed around the college, makes for a creative environment.

I'd heard a lot about the college and it's reputation as a good university and so that further pushed me to study on the course.

• According to online statistics as well, people who graduate from LCA have an 85% success rate of going straight into the industry and getting a job which is a major reason why I chose here.

Leeds is city full of life and character and is a lot different than the environment I'm used to and also I wanted to be in a place full of opportunities for lots of things.

 Another reason is the facilities at LCA, especially in comparison to some other universities I had visited prior to this one, they had a lot more facilities available, not only that but they were of a higher quality.

5 things that I want to learn during my time on the course

 One main thing I have wanted to learn is a lot about the framework of graphic design itself, as it's all well and good making something look nice but without meaning it doesn't hold nearly as much value as a piece of art.

 Another thing is printing techniques, these weren't widely available during my college years yet prints are always something I've admired visually and so I'd like to be able to create my own.

 I would love to learn a lot about the graphic design industry and how it works, especially with having tutors that have been within it, it would be good to learn a lot from experienced workers.

 Aside from print, more hands on techniques when creating pieces of work would be good to learn as it differs a lot from a typical digital piece of work.

 Lastly I would like to learn a lot about how graphic design came to be and where it's potentially heading by learning about the beginnings of graphics and how it all started.

5 Strengths


 One thing I would consider strength is using some of the Adobe Suite, including Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver & Indesign.

 I would consider myself good at giving fair feedback when it comes group critiques and feedback sessions.

 I believe that I have good enough social skills as far as meeting new people goes, which I think will come in useful when needing to have a good set of contacts when within the industry.

 One of my strengths I would say is responding well to feedback, more often than not I will always try out suggestions given to me from feedback sessions or try to implement them into my current work.

 I believe that I am good as far as getting work done as soon as possibly rather than leaving it all to the last minute, this I would say is down to being somewhat organised with my working schedule.

5 things to improve


  My drawing ability as I would love to be able to create more detailed drawings.

  I want to improve my range of ideas by visiting more new places and also going to things such as exhibitions.

  I would like to ideally build up confidence when it comes to presenting work as, although within small groups I'm confident with talking, when presenting in front of large numbers of people, I'm not very confident.

  Presentational skills as a whole such as being efficient with slideshow presentations etc. making them look appealing and concise.

 I'd like to improve my design process as a whole, going from initial sketches to final resolution with more detailed and experimental work in between.

5 things that inspire me

  Architecture
  Hand made print designs
  UI/UX Design
  Design magazines
  Behance

Identify 5 examples of design that demonstrate your fields of creative interest


Flat Vector Illustrations

Logo Design
UI/UX Design
3D Illustrations
Editorial Design

No comments:

Post a Comment